If there are situations where someone gets poisoned by household items like bleach, fuel, Kerosene, Hypo, Drug and others and you feel you need to give first aid before the arrival of a medical personnel, try the steps I will be giving you.
The first aid to be given depends on the part of the body where the accident happened. It could be the eyes, skin or mouth.
If it happened on the skin
- Take off the clothes.
- Pour a large amount of water on the affected area for up to 10 minutes and wash with soap.
- Take the Victim to the hospital.
If it happened in the eyes
- Remove anything that serves as an obstruction to the eyeballs
- Pour only water on the eyes without soap (Clean water)
- Do your best to ensure the victim blinks his/her eyes
- Take to the hospital immediately
Do the above to avoid permanent loss of sight.
If the poison is swallowed
1.Follow instructions on poison container
- Give the victim milk if he/she is:
-not convulsing &–
3.Rush to hospital
Do not give the victim palm oil to avoid worsening the condition
For inhaled/sniffed poison
- Move the person to where there is no smoke but natural air.
- If they vomit, turn their head to the side to avoid choking
- If no signs of life (not moving or breathing) start CPR*
- Move to hospital
After attempting first aid measures for about 15 minutes, you must rush the person immediately to a health care centre.
Do not let the victim cry.
Do not do anything that will force the victim to vomit.
Do not dip anything in the victim’s mouth in an attempt to force the Victim vomit.
Doing that might lead to blockage of where air passes through and it kills faster.