9 crucial Facts About SWAT That May Change your belief about them
These facts are released by the Nigerian Police Force to the Nigerian citizens, the ethics and obligations of the just established group called SWAT, following the disbandment of SARS
These are the significant knowledge you must know concerning SWAT as shared by the official Twitter handle of the Nigeria Police Force in response to Nigerian youths on EndSars demand
Recall that 50Minds reported that this group, Special Weapons And Tactics squad, SWAT, was established by Nigerian Police to take the position of the notorious special anti-robbery squads.
It was not surprising that the Nigerian youths are still calling for the #ENDSWAT. This is due to the distrust built by the present administration. The Nigerian youths are of the firm belief that SWAT is a new beast in clothing of a sheep.
As a result of this, the Nigeria Police felt obliged to update Nigerians with 9 important facts about SWAT to erase the fears of the masses.
The 9 facts as signed by the Police spokesman, Frank Mba, were categorized into 2; part A and part B which cover their mandates and restrictions.
Below are the 9 important facts the general public needs to know about the duties and responsibilities of the newly formed SWAT unit;
1. No personnel of the defunct SARS will be selected to be part of the new TACTICAL team.
2. Operations of the new TACTICAL team will be strictly intelligence-driven.
3. Members of the new TACTICAL team will by no means embark on routine patrols.
4. Members of the new TACTICAL team are barred from indiscriminate and unlawful search of phones, laptops and other smart gadgets.
5. Operatives of the new TACTICAL team must be free of any pending disciplinary matter especially those touching on misuse of firearms and abuse of human rights.
Mandate of the new TACTICAL team is strictly restricted to;
6. Response to robbery attacks.
7. Response to scenes of weapon-related crimes.
8. Rescue operations.
9. Special operations involving high profile criminals.