Senator Kaka who was a former senator representing the good people of Ogun East senatorial district in Ogun State had expressed his concern and proposed a solution to the ongoing drama and inaction of the government and the police on the protests.
Patriotically speaking, the base solution to Police restructuring and to partly serve to reduce unemployment situation, is systemic overhauling.
The total police personnel in place today, is about 400,000 only. They are expected to superintend over 200 million population. Implying gross under policing, especially when cognisance is taking of the over100,000 deployed to cover special officials and “semi-officials”, who can afford to foot the bills.
Young unemployed graduates, capable of easy comprehension of technological adoptions required in digital policing, are being churned out in large numbers from our Tertiary Institutions.
With the knowledge, value, confidence and integrity that education confers, one wonders why our young graduates cannot be mass recruited, systematically to replace the untrainable, bad attitude ingrained personnel, currently populating the service.
It will be like killing many birds with just one stone:
- Solving burgeoning graduates’ unemployment.
Better motivation for the police service with commensurate and respectable emoluments, structured to underscore the importance attached to security.
- Foster desirable and essential mutual respect between the Police and other Armed Services.
- Commanding of the deserved respect and honour from the public, through the anticipated exemplary conducts by polished corps.
- Better handling of firearms and related critical electronic gadgets.
- Accurate and diligent records keeping with utmost patriotic zeal enhancement.
All geared towards efficiency and effectiveness in service delivery. That can then be complimented with the institutionalisation of State and probably LGA and if you like, community policing.