The new teaching policy announces by President Muhammadu buhari yesterday in making the international teachers day have brought jubilations amongst teachers across the country.
The new teaching policy as signed by President Muhammadu buhari would see to improved teacher welfare and would also give better appreciation to the contribution of teachers to the development and growth of the nation.
Before yesterday’s President Muhammadu buhari’s announcement, teachers have been the least paid employee across the country both in the private and public sectors. This has greatly affected the academic performance amongst students due to a lack of teachers’ motivation to work.
In a bid to improve teachers’ welfare, working standard, and students’ performance which would in turn positively affects the national development, President Muhammadu buhari has approved a new teaching policy.
Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari New Teaching Policy
- Establishment of a Special Salary Scale. A new salary scale would be designed for teachers across the country both in the private and public teaching sphere.
- Retirement by age is now 65. The new teaching policy states that the new retirement age for teachers would now be 65 years as against 60years.
- Retirement by service is now 40. Years of service of teachers have also been increased from 35 years to 40 years.
- Allowances: the new teaching policy would also see the introduction of various allowances to help boast the morals of teachers. Theses allowances include; Rural allowance, an Increase in science allowance, and the introduction of Peculiar allowance.
- Automatic admission and tuition-free for kids of Teachers at their place of work.
- Automatic recruitments of B.Ed graduating students.
- Bachelor of Education students are to enjoy stipends or education spe al allowance.
- Education students in colleges and universities are to enjoy special bursary awards.
- TETFund will now be used to fund Teaching Practices.
- Enhanced entry for graduating students into service.
- Special Teachers Pension Scheme to be established.
The new teaching policy as introduced by President Muhammadu buhari is deserving of applaud, but many people have aligned fears in many areas. Many people are of the opinion that this new teaching policy might further spoil the teachers just as we currently have with the health workers who are not satisfied with their salary and allowance scale and have become Oliver twist.