Radiofrequency ablation is a minimal invasion procedure in which specific radio frequencies are used to cure abnormalities at microscopic level. This is done by producing heat with radio waves to burn the dysfunctioning localized factor which could be a neuron, a tissue or else .
What radiofrequency ablation technique used for ?Its one of the pain controlling techniques used dominantly nowadays or can be a safe sound option to ablate ectopic heart beat generator in case of cardiac fibrillation and also tumour causing tissues in the body . Radiofrequency ablation is also of great interest incase of removing viscous veins .
Procedure for the therapy:
The RFA medical procedure is carried by firstly giving an intravenous medication to the patient to relax. Local anaesthetics are used to numb the part of the body to be treated . After that :
- The doctor inserts a thin needle into the area to be treated using an x-ray guidance to pinpoint the exact location
- After that , a microelectrode is passed through the needle and radio waves are generated; the doctor asks the patient if he /she feels a tingling sensation so that the target is assured
- A small radiofrequency current is passed through the electrode to produce heat locally with which the dysfunctioning neuron or the targeted tissue in case of tumour is burned
- While performing the procedure , it is made sure that the surrounding structures aren’t affected
- Usually, the procedure is completed within an hour and the patient is discharged. Depending upon the severity it might take a bit longer
RFA treatment in case of ectopic heartbeat:
In case of RF ablation to remove ectopic heart beat , the catheter is inserted in the heart via femoral artery through which the electrode is passed . The Barrat’s oesophagus can also be treated with this radiofrequency technique. The dysfunctioning tissue in the oesophagus is targeted following the same procedure using an endoscopic guide.
Is RFA treatment safe?
Being introduced to such technologies , the first and the major concern of the people is how safe the RFA surgery would be ? . So here comes a good news about RF treatment that it is not like a typical surgical technique ; its totally safe with a very minimal recovery time , as the patient is completely stable . Minor numbness is observed in 2/10 people which goes off with time.
The field of medicine being one of the most progressing domains , is introducing the world with more advanced methodologies , making the medical procedures more effective and easier and the RF ablation is one of them .