“I didn’t mean to be insensitive, my emotions got the best of me”- Desmond Elliot apologizes to Nigerians over comment made.
Popular Nigerian actor and law maker in the house of assembly, Surulere constituency has taken to social media to apologize to Nigerians over comments made on social media regulations.
Recall the law maker had earlier on suggested the government regulate the use of social media in Nigeria. He further went ahead to refer to youths as ‘Children’ which earned him a lot of backlash.
Desmond Elliot however took to his twitter handle to apologize for his words and to explain himself.
According to him, he allowed his emotions get the best of him and didn’t mean to be insensitive. He backed up his apology claiming even the best makes mistake.
“1. I have read your honest feedback & suggestions& I sincerely apologize for addressing the youth as “Children”
I did not mean to be insensitive with this, it was borne out of the magnitude of destruction & looting of businesses I witnessed when I went on a tour of my constituency
2. I saw women crying and my constituent members distraught as a result of the damages inflicted on their source of livelihood. I was moved by this while giving my submission on the floor of the House.
3. I allowed my emotions get the better of me and for this I apologize to everyone my earlier statements may have hurt.
4. Please, understand that even the best of us make mistakes. This is why, moving forward, I ask that we all try to engage constructively on the issues that affect all of us. I promise to do the same.
5. The pain that I feel for my constituents, the calls for assistance that I continue to get, and the need to mitigate against further destruction and violence will continue to drive my engagements and my work.
6. I thank you all for expressing your views, and in the future, I promise to be more conscious and aware.
Together, we will build a better Nigeria.